Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Basement Required

Tornadoes have been occupying my thoughts constantly for the past 2 days.. There is a constant stream of pictures, videos, posts, news articles, etc being uploaded to facebook every few seconds about the Joplin tornado. I just now came across a first person video of a guy that was huddled with a group of people inside a gas station when the tornado hit. The power must have been out because it was dark, but you hear everyone talking until it hits, then the glass shattering, people screaming, and kids crying. It seriously made me sick to listen to it. I cannot imagine how horrible it would be to go through that. And can't believe how much destruction one storm can bring. I don't even recognize the city! A few people that I know lost their homes.. what in the world do you do if your house and all belongings are gone in an instant? I've always been terrified of tornadoes, but even more so since this one hit so close to home! So what I've decided is that when Ryan and I go to buy a house in a year or so, a basement is a must!!! And if I find the most perfect, cute little house with no basement, I'm gonna have to come back to this post and remind myself of my feelings. : )
While I'm on the topic of tornadoes.. I've got my own personal tornado in the form of a little girl named Lexi. She seriously destroys our house. Yesterday was especially bad. I've been on the computer alot reading about the tornado, so I've haven't been giving Lexi as much attention as she wants, and maybe that's the problem. Anyway, I had been sitting at the computer for about 5 minutes when I realized Lexi was completely silent. She is ONLY silent when she's doing something she knows she will get in trouble for. I went in to find Lexi with a jar of my canned butter. She had gotten it off the kitchen counter and took it in the family room to her play kitchen. She did a real good job buttering a piece of her play toast and other kitchen items. It wouldn't have been so bad if she wouldn't have buttered the carpet as well!! Her clothes and arms were completly covered. I didn't think there was any chance I'd get it all out. Anyway, I put her in her room for a while so I could start on the clean-up without her making it worse. While I was working on that, I heard her banging on her door and yelling "poop". I ran in there to find she had taken off her pull-up and peed on the carpet. UGH! Got all that cleaned up.. well semi-cleaned up because I don't think the carpet will ever be the same after all that butter. About an hour later Lexi drew on my new quilt with her crayon. I don't think I was the best mother ever yesterday.. Probably yelled WAY too much!


Here's a picture I took of the butter incident. I had already cleaned up Lexi and part of it before I thought to get the camera.


The end.

5 comments:

The Crisps said...

Oh my GOODNESS! LOL I'm so sorry Lindy! I have to admit this post made me laugh and made me happy at the same time..happy to know my kids are not the only ones who do things like that. I have had those days, I know how you feel!!

Melissa said...

Micah did the same thing with Vaseline... Everyone seemed to have a solution for me, so by the end of the day, we had a vaseline-dawn dish soap-baking soda-two carpet cleaner mess!! That spot always looks dingy, but it's a great indicator that I need to clean the rest of my carpets, since it is the first spot to get really dirty!! Good LUCK!!

Mindy said...

By happenchance I watched Twister the other day, then right afterwards I read all about the tornado in Joplin. Scary! And that butter! What a mess. I'd be happy to have her come over here for a few hours any day if you need a little time for anything else. :)

twhalliday said...

Tornado's are so not fun when you grow up and dont have your parents basements anymore and you have your own kids to take care of.. here they dont really have houses with basements its cost too much.. time for us to move :) Lexi, how do you keep up?? i think too are hard to keep up with because all the want to do is watch tv or i have to play with them. OH i cant wait to see you

twhalliday said...

Tornado's are so not fun when you grow up and dont have your parents basements anymore and you have your own kids to take care of.. here they dont really have houses with basements its cost too much.. time for us to move :) Lexi, how do you keep up?? i think too are hard to keep up with because all the want to do is watch tv or i have to play with them. OH i cant wait to see you